News Director- Heartland Media
WTVA-TV (NBC 9.1/ABC 9.2)
Small Market News Directors, are you tired of chasing #1 with little to no resources? Are you ready to work for a dominant station and experience what winning BIG feels like? Mid-Market Middle Managers, are you ready for your first News Director gig with a serious news station?
WTVA, the Heartland Media owned NBC and ABC affiliate in Tupelo-Columbus, MS (133), will take your career to a big market experience fast. You must eat, sleep and breathe news to do this job. WTVA attacks news every day with a fast-paced delivery for more than 9 hours of live coverage each weekday. Heartland Media is a company that believes in and invests in live, local news.
Does your current employer invest in your career with training and consulting as if you were a network O & O? Heartland does, and you could soon be working with Magid consultants who partner with us to provide research-based consumer insights to continue to evolve our winning strategy. We may be market 133, but we play like the big leagues. Interested?
The ideal candidate must be energetic, positive, passionate, competitive, possess strong motivational skills and exceed in recruiting and training across generations. If you can’t check those boxes, please do not waste my time or yours.
Why Tupelo? Why North Mississippi? We live in a cultural hotbed for internationally recognized music, art and literature. Elvis was born here. BB King played in the joints. Tennesse Williams spent much of his youth here. Plus, we’re only 90 minutes from Memphis, 3.5 hours from Nashville - and we’re in the middle of three of the most competitive SEC universities (Alabama, Ole Miss and Mississippi State). The area is home to the Columbus Air Force Base, PACAR, Toyota, and produces more home furnishings than any other area of the country. The cost of living is low too, so your generous compensation plan will give you more bang for your buck.
WTVA is looking for an individual who can lead their legacy station in north Mississippi to new heights of success. This individual should possess the leadership skills necessary to quickly gain the respect of a very strong team of journalists. Duties required, but not limited to, overseeing day-to-day operation and responsibility of the newsroom and the following:
- Provide strategic, logistical planning, and direction to the entire news department.
- Lead, develop, and coordinate electronic and digital news gathering operations: writing, video gathering, editing, remote broadcasts, ENG trucks and backpacks.
- Provide guidance, training, and leadership for editorial and newsgathering personnel, including MMJs, videographers, reporters, editors, anchors and others as assigned.
- Responsible for staffing and supervisory duties, including hiring, performance management, scheduling, and evaluation of all department personnel.
- Mentor and develop news employees' news gathering and technology skills, especially in the use of digital and wireless tools.
- Work with General Manager, Business Manager and Director of Technology/Operations to plan and manage the TV News operating and capital budgets. Plan, supervise, and track department expenditures.
NOTE: All of the essential functions of this position are not necessarily described in this posting.
- Four year college degree (or the equivalent) preferably in journalism or communications.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in newsgathering and/or production and at least 3 years of direct management experience in a local television or network environment.
- Experience supervising, training, coaching and motivating a team.
Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a drug screening, investigative background check, employment/education verifications and reference checks. You must hold a valid driver’s license and be insurable under Mississippi Law.
WTVA provides services to Coastal Television’s WLOV (FOX 27).
To apply please send resume via email or mail to:
P.O. Box 320
Tupelo, MS 38802
No Phone Calls Please
WTVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In addition to complying with the requirements of federal law, WTVA will comply with applicable state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination.